Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile and patches

From: Ashley
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile and patches
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:59:36 -0500

A couple of notes on the msvc build I forgot to mention previously:

- When specifying PREFIX during the build, use /:

make PLATFORM=msvc PREFIX=c:/development/chicken-msvc

 Backslashes will cause problems and aren't used internally anyway.

- Currently, you have to compile with -DPIC or you'll get linker
 errors for 5 or 6 variables declared in chicken.h (C_fromspace_limit,
 C_fromspace_top, etc).  Without -DPIC, the variables are not declared
 "dllimport", and microsoft's linker requires variables (though not
 functions) from a dll to be declared that way.

 Unfortunately, this will cause your unit toplevel functions to be
 declared as dllimports, and the linker will issue warnings about
 locally-defined functions being declared as imports.  I'd like to
 modify the declarations in chicken.h to prevent this, but for now
 I'm just suppressing the warning in my own builds.

ashley