Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:03:32 -0800

> Are there any compelling reasons to choose a Lisp other than Chicken
> (my current best-known) for that sort of thing?

I started developing Svnwiki, a content-management system, 4 (almost
5) years ago.  I originally started writing it in Python but after
some initial development found that this language was too unbearable
for me and decided to pick a Lisp implementation.  Chicken was the one
I had used the most so I decided to give it a try.  I'm happy
with the results.

I ended up implementing a lot of the code I needed instead of being
able to reuse previously existing libraries (I even ended up
reimplementing format because I kept running into limitations in the
one provided back then, which came from SLIB; I also had to help
extend the chicken eggs system quite a bit to the point where it was
useful for what I needed).  Of the 24 eggs that Svnwiki depends on, I
implemented 18 (and the fact that I decided to make them eggs instead
of just leaving that code in Svnwiki means that I considered that code
generic enough to be useful for other programs).

Another thing I found useful was using what we call the "pre-rendered
model": http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/pre-rendered%20model

Good luck with your application.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/