Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:06:01 -0500

Alejandro Forero Cuervo scripsit:

> Another thing I found useful was using what we call the "pre-rendered
> model": http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/pre-rendered%20model

Somewhat more globally known as "baked not fried".

http://www.reutershealth.com , which I worked on from 1999 to 2005, is
100% baked except for the internal search engine -- even the lists of
current headlines are baked by an hourly cron job.  There are about 10^5
pages, most of which are baked multiple times on the day of publication
and then never touched again.

I saw the limits of pre-rendering reached in my next job at the Associated
Press (http://hosted.ap.org), where each of about 10^4 stories per day
had to be rendered in accordance with about a dozen binary specifications
set by the client (e.g. all-caps vs. mixed-case headlines), requiring
each page to be baked about 4096 ways.  When I left, the system was
being replaced by a more usual on-the-fly rendering model.

--
A rose by any other name                            John Cowan
may smell as sweet,                                 http://www.ccil.org/~cowan