Re: [Chicken-users] DBI

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] DBI
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:50:15 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:40:54PM -0600, Ozzi Lee wrote:
> > In reality, though, I think portability between databases is more
> > hypothetical than real.  Projects typically start with one database and
> > stick to it, for moving between databases *even if a portability layer
> > is in use* turns out to be hard -- all sorts of stuff outside the main
> > code base ends up changing (path names, load scripts, whatever).
>
> I agree that portability isn't that great in practice. I'd like to see a
> DBI egg for two reasons:
>
> 1. Starting out on a project, 90% of the time I'll use SQLite, because
> it's the easiest. Often I'll want to switch to MySQL once things get
> rolling. A single DBI interface makes this quite a bit easier.
>
> 2. For quick and dirty scripts that need to access a database, it would
> be nice to have to keep in the differences between the different interfaces.

I'd like to add a third:

3. Even if individual *projects* choose a particular database implementation,
   any given *library* or *framework* should be database-agnostic, wherever
   possible.  This gives people who use your library/framework the freedom to
   choose their database for their projects.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx