Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:22:45 +0100

Graham Fawcett wrote:
Chicken is a very Unix-friendly Scheme, and I find my Chicken apps are easy to maintain from a sysadmin perspective. The few Common Lisp apps I had (they were in SBCL, which is beautiful in its way, but weighs 800 pounds) were troublesome to manage as processes, ate huge swaths of memory, and were not particularly efficient.

This is very very important for average real-world projects. My experience with Chicken is that it is as Unix- (or OS-) friendly as Perl, as performant as C, and as high-level as any other Lisp, without the bloat of CL. I have yet to find another Lisp with all these properties, and that's why I'm sticking with it!

To add something useful to this thread, although not Chicken-specific, I recently wrote a web app with a piece of highly interactive client- side interface, using Canvas, Javascript, and lots of linear algebra. Naturally I prototyped most of the client-side maths code in Chicken, well knowing that I would have to translate it to Javascript when the algorithms were finalized. But then I stumbled upon Scheme2Js and my day was made :-)

http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/personnel/Florian.Loitsch/scheme2js/

It would be interesting to port it from Bigloo to Chicken. In the meantime you can just use one of the precompiled versions. It's sweet to be able write your client-side model (or logic) layer in Scheme and have it compiled to Javascript as part of your make process.

Also, that compiler uses a very clever trick to translate call/cc into Javascript.

Tobia