Re: [Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:00:34 +0000

On 29 Feb 2008, at 10:28 pm, John Cowan wrote:

OT:  One of the Java puzzlers is this:

        Foo foo = null;
        foo.bar();

Under what circumstances does that *not* cause a NullPointerException?

Oooh, my Java's a bit rusty, but I guess it'd be when bar is a static
method of Foo...

Bringing things back towards topic again, the editor of the Java
Langage Spec turns out to be an old Uni acquaintance of mine, and we
had an interesting discussion about macros - I posited that Java's
quite nice, but that it really really wants a macro system to get rid
of all that damned boilerplate code all over the place, to which he
replied that the obstacles to a decent macro system are more
political than techincal: apparently there's quite a faction in the
Java community who look with disdain upon the idea that features from
Lisp should be brought into Java...

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym