Re: [Chicken-users] readline blocks threads

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] readline blocks threads
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:47:45 -0800 (PST)

there is a way to do this.  its just very painful.  im working on a readline-ng
egg with the changes, as the existing readline wont work.

-elf

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jim Ursetto <address@hidden> wrote:
 Did you try using rlwrap?  It works fine here.

 $ rlwrap csi
 #;1> (use srfi-18)
 #;2> (thread-start! (lambda () (let loop () (printf "loop~%") (thread-sleep! 1)
 (loop))))
 #<thread: thread0>
 #;3> loop
 loop
 loop
 loop

That's interesting.  But I figured it's a bad design for the dbus egg
to only work under some circumstances, and I found one that will not
work if I bury the pollling thread inside the egg.

Maybe the answer is that srfi-18 is a toy, don't take it too
seriously... or just don't depend on it, because it's up to the user
to choose to use it or not.

It's a general pattern that I'm looking for: what to do when an egg
needs to do polling and/or callbacks...