Re: [Chicken-users] Revised Chapter 1 (reminder)

From: Ashley Bone
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Revised Chapter 1 (reminder)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:08:25 -0500

John Cowan wrote:
Vincent Manis scripsit:

  1. Someone added TODOs suggesting a discussion of MinGW and MinGW/
MSys builds; I would ask whoever did that to add a small amount of
content, or perhaps a pointer to somewhere else, on those topics.

I asked because I myself want to know the answer!

When I used Windows (I don't run it any more), I always used Cygwin
builds, so the difference between mingw and msys builds is a mystery
to me.  Can someone enlighten us either on the wiki or here on the list
(in which case I will transport it to the wiki?)

The mingw and mingw-msys builds are pretty much the same.  Both give
you a chicken built against the mingw headers and import libraries.
The only difference is the environment where you actually run make.
Makefile.mingw is can be used in cmd.exe with the version of make
that comes with mingw.  Makefile.mingw-msys requires the msys shell
since it uses unix command (cp, rm, etc).  The end product is the
same.

I'd suggest combining the paragrapsh on the MinGW/msys builds and just noting that makefiles exist for cmd.exe and msys.

ashley