Re: [Chicken-users] Revised Chapter 1 (reminder)

From: Ashley Bone
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Revised Chapter 1 (reminder)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:40:22 -0500

John Cowan wrote:
Ashley Bone scripsit:

The mingw and mingw-msys builds are pretty much the same.  Both give
you a chicken built against the mingw headers and import libraries.
The only difference is the environment where you actually run make.
Makefile.mingw is can be used in cmd.exe with the version of make
that comes with mingw.  Makefile.mingw-msys requires the msys shell
since it uses unix command (cp, rm, etc).  The end product is the
same.

So in that case what use is the mingw-msys build?

I had thought that the result of the mingw-msys build was code parts of
which (chicken-setup, chicken-bug, or whatever) could only be used if
msys was present at run time.  If that's not the case, it seems pointless
to maintain both builds, since anyone with or without msys can use the
mingw build.

The only advantage I can see is that if you use msys you don't have to
fiddle with the windows command shell.  I'm not sure Makefile.mingw
will work in msys because some of the unix utilities like mkdir are
actually built-in commands in cmd.exe so they are treated a little
differently in the plain mingw build.

ashley