Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:34:02 -0400

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> Individual servlets could then be compiled without the
> default integrations, and they would see the utf8 semantics
> if the utf8 egg were used.  Both types of libraries can
> co-exist, and they would all share the same string
> representation.

Can things be arranged so that when a compilation unit does (use utf8)
the relevant integrations are turned off for that unit?  If so, that
would be sufficient for me.

> But I want to ask again, do people want this, and is it OK
> to break compatibility in the current utf8 egg?

Yes, I want it, and yes, it is okay to break compatibility.

> Or should we possibly wait to see about the new module system?

That way madness lies.  Or as my boss's boss once said, "Don't wait;
do it now!"

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      address@hidden