Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:29:54 +0900

    Kon> Is this a "char-string" issue or a "byte-string"
    Kon> issue? When the source "...string..." is a string
    Kon> of ASCII non-nul char then there should be no
    Kon> problem w/ the utf8 egg overriding the string
    Kon> operators.  The problem comes when the source "..."
    Kon> is actually a "byte-string".

There are other places things can go wrong, of course.  If
you use STRING-{SEARCH,MATCH}-POSITIONS, in code that's not
utf8-aware, and any of the match positions come after wide
characters in the string, then it will break if some other
egg has loaded utf8.

This just makes me sad.  The whole concept of referencing
strings by index is broken.

--
Alex