Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:41:08 +0900

    Kon> integrations. I want global UTF8 strings.

The only way this can happen is to push the UTF8 handling
into the core of Chicken itself.

Integration vs. modules are just different degrees of the
fundamental problem that different libraries apply different
meanings to string indices, and sooner or later these will
conflict.

Pushing UTF8 into the core would be easy, and would be much
less code than currently in the utf8 egg, since 90% of what
that egg does is just wrap existing procedures, translating
the meaning of the string indices.  However it would be
contrary to Chicken's goal of keeping a minimal core with
extensions built on top.

As it is, if you want Unicode handling, the only way to do
it would be with separate modules, and forked versions of
every egg that does any string processing.

--
Alex