Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:29:33 -0400

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> Since easyffi is purely compile-time, I see no reason why it should
> infect code compiled with it with GPL licensing. Can some license
> advocate clarify this?

Correct.  The mere use of a GPLed program (like gcc) to transform text
does not infect the output text with the GPL, *unless* the program copies
substantial portions of itself into the output.  Bison does so, and for
years parser code created by Bison had to be GPLed, but then the FSF
changed the license on the parser skeleton so that this was no longer so.

--
Andrew Watt on Microsoft:                       John Cowan
Never in the field of human computing           address@hidden