Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:59:47 -0400

minh thu scripsit:

> >  That's right.  Of course, if you use a GPLed egg, you have to distribute
> >  Scheme source for your whole app.  C source is obfuscated and doesn't
> >  count for GPL purposes.
>
> It seems to me that you both say the opposite. I understand the
> exemple above of distributing averything in C form includes C code
> from any egg (under any license, not just BSD).

Not from just any egg.  If the egg is compile-time-only, there is no
problem.  But if a GPLed egg provides runtime code to the final program,
such as the mpi or readline eggs, then it is in violation of the GPL to
distribute the C version only.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden  http://ccil.org/~cowan
If he has seen farther than others,