Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [chicken-users] silex GPL-2 licensed?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:33:41 -0600

On 3/19/08, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> minh thu scripsit:
>
> > > That's right. Of course, if you use a GPLed egg, you have to
> distribute
> > > Scheme source for your whole app. C source is obfuscated and doesn't
> > > count for GPL purposes.
> >
> > It seems to me that you both say the opposite. I understand the
> > exemple above of distributing averything in C form includes C code
> > from any egg (under any license, not just BSD).
>
> Not from just any egg. If the egg is compile-time-only, there is no
> problem. But if a GPLed egg provides runtime code to the final program,
> such as the mpi or readline eggs, then it is in violation of the GPL to
> distribute the C version only.

What about the fp egg--which uses silex to generate scheme code from
a lexer spec--and links it directly into the resulting binary?

Note that this scheme code (fp.l.scm) contains not only tables generated
by silex, but also a verbatim chunk of 1,120 lines of code from silex.scm.

Does this mean fp is now GPL?