Re: [Chicken-users] callbacks from C into Scheme

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] callbacks from C into Scheme
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:36:00 +0100

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Shawn Rutledge
<address@hidden> wrote:
> This is intended to wrap a given Scheme callback as a C function, and
>  make some C library calls, then under the right conditions, call the
>  wrapped callback.  After several sessions of staring at it, I still
>  don't understand why this doesn't work.  Probably missing something
>  stupid though.

That could be called a compiler bug, actually. Moving the define-external
form to toplevel will work. The optimizer removes the "msg" argument
(since it is not used) but can't (obviously) adjust calls from C to respect
that optimization. Since toplevel procedures can not be optimized in
such a way (the call sites are unknown), the optimization does not
apply.

I have added a note in the trunk manual.