Re: [Chicken-users] Cyclic lists and the Interpreter

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cyclic lists and the Interpreter
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:06:23 -0400

Alaric Snell-Pym scripsit:

> >2) Is the interpreter supposed to freeze if length is passed a
> >cyclic list?  Other scheme implementations generate an error.
>
> I don't know about that, though! Check R5RS...

R5RS says that the argument to length must be a list, which means it
is an error if it is not.  Implementations are not required to detect
or report errors unless the phrase "an error is signalled" is used,
which in this case it is not.

See sections 6.3.2 (length's argument must be a list), 1.3.3 (an error
for arguments to have the wrong type), 1.3.2 ("an error" need not be
detected or reported).

--
Your worships will perhaps be thinking          John Cowan
that it is an easy thing to blow up a dog?      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan