Re: [Chicken-users] Idea: Unofficial eggs

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Idea: Unofficial eggs
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:09:44 +0100

On 14 Apr 2008, at 9:36 am, Ivan Raikov wrote:

  Indeed, it is up to the individual authors to determine the status
of their eggs. Chicken itself has official and unofficial versions to
distinguish which releases are somewhat tested, but the eggs are
managed by their respective authors.

Perhaps, then, what would help is offering an easy way of choosing
the trunk or most-recent-tagged version of an egg when doing chicken-
setup.

chicken-setup foo

 - gets the most recent tagged version

chicken-setup --unstable foo

 - gets trunk?

For an egg that's never tagged a release version ("I'd like to share
this incomplete code with the world, and I'd like to make it clear
it's not ready for use yet"), then --unstable would be the ONLY way
to install it.

This should be reflected on the eggs page, just so people don't get
their hopes up. "Oooh, a complete re-implementation of C++ and the
Windows APIs as a chicken egg so we can run COM objects in a virtual
machine? Just what I need..." - but I think more by marking the egg
as "no stable release" rather than a separate section.

   -Ivan

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym