Re: [Chicken-users] Some reorganization of units extras and utils

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Some reorganization of units extras and utils
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:50:33 -0700

You have my support, FWIW.

On Apr 15, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Ivan Raikov wrote:

Hi all,

   I always get confused by the division of procedures in units extras
and utils, and I dislike such "catch-all" categories, so I think it is
time to break up those units in smaller units with well-defined
boundaries of functionality. I propose to do the following changes
incrementally, so as to minimize the breakage of existing eggs. Of
course, I am open to suggestions and comments.

Unit data-structures:

     Lists (alist-ref, alist-update!, ..., join, shuffle, tail?)
     Queues (list->queue, queue-...)
     Sorting (merge, sort, sorted?)
     Strings (conc, ->string, string-...)
     Combinators (compose, constantly, etc.)
     Binary searching (binary-search)

Unit ports:

      String-port extensions (call-with-input-string, etc.)
      Input/Output extensions (make-input-port, make-output-port, ...)
      Funky ports (make-broadcast-port, make-concatenated-port)
      Input iterators (port-map, port-for-each, port-fold, ...)

Unit files:

     copy-file, move-file, delete-file*, pathname operations,
     temporary file operations

Unit os:

     Environment variables, system*, random