Re: [Chicken-users] Error: illegal bytevector syntax: unspecified

From: Todd Dukes
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error: illegal bytevector syntax: unspecified
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:34:49 -0500

Is it typical for chicken not to give file location information, ie
file name and line number, when it finds an error in an input source
it is compiling.

I see this when doing an eval in Bigloo, but when compiling it
typically gives the source location of the error.

I don't think I am using any homogeneous vectors in this file.

bash-2.05a$ grep vector disasm-utils-lib.scm
                 (let ((z (make-vector (length bit-list)))
                       (s (make-vector (length bit-list)))
                       (op-mask (make-vector (length bit-list)))
                       (op-value-mask (make-vector (length bit-list)))
                    ;(vector-set! vector k obj)
                    ;(vector-ref vector k)
                    (vector-set! z 0 0)
                    (vector-set! s 0 (- *instruction-word-size* (cadr (car
bit-list)) 1))
                    (vector-set! op-mask 0 (range->mask (car bit-list)))
                    (vector-set! op-value-mask 0 (bit-rshelong (vector-ref
op-mask 0)
                                                               (vector-ref s
0)))
                                 (vector-set! z index (+ (- xn yn)
                                                         (vector-ref z (- index
1))))
                                 (vector-set! s index (-
*instruction-word-size* yn 1
                                                         (vector-ref z index)))
                                 (vector-set! op-mask index (range->mask (car
remaining)))
                                 (vector-set! op-value-mask index
                                              (bit-rshelong (vector-ref op-mask
                                                            (vector-ref s
                                              (vector->list op-mask)))
                                                    (vector->list
op-value-mask))))
                                    (print "vref " (vector-ref op-value-mask
                                           " elong " (elong? (vector-ref
op-value-mask index))))
                                                                    (vector-ref
op-value-mask
                                        (shifted (bit-lshelong this-section
(vector-ref s index)))
                                                                   (if (>
(vector-length z) index)

(vector-ref z
bash-2.05a$

I think all of the vector functions I am using are from R5RS. I am
pretty sure the bit-rshelong and big-lshelong don't exist, but I would
expect an undefine symbol error message for those.

Are there any flags to give the compiler to encourage it to give a
more verbose error message?

Thanks,
Todd.