Re: [Chicken-users] my first chicken 4 modules ;)

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] my first chicken 4 modules ;)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:58:24 -0600

I also managed to port vector-lib.egg over.

Minor issues encountered during the port:

1) Warnings aren't issued for unbound identifiers -- I spent a while
   tracking down a weird error and it turns out I forgot to import
   'when' from chicken, along with numerous runtime failures when I
   forgot to import procedures.  Some of that is inexperience.  But
   the analogue of -check-imports would be nice.  I guess once this is
   more mature then consistent import library data would be usable for
   this role.
2) Throw something like (display foobar), where foobar is unbound,
   into your module and at runtime it will actually display #<unbound
   value> without throwing an error.  If a procedure is unbound, it
   similarly complains about 'Error: call of non-procedure: #<unbound
   value>' but this is easily tracked down using the call history.
3) Importing and then redefining an R5RS binding, such as
   list->vector, inside a module results in 'Warning: exported
   variable multiply defined' and also overwrites the toplevel binding
   as soon as you link in the extension with (use).  To avoid this
    I did the following:

(import (except scheme list->vector vector->list vector-fill!)
        (prefix (only scheme list->vector vector->list vector-fill!)
                %))

   and then used %list->vector as the core version.  This worked
   fine.  But I'm not sure if it's correct.