Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-setup

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-setup
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:46:33 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>  What I would like to see is a two-tier installation system that
> consists of an interpreter for compilation/installation scripts, and a
> chicken-setup frontend. The interpreter should know three things:
> where to get source tarballs (source locations), rules that specify
> how to compile sources into executables, and where to install files
> (installation locations). The frontend would read in an egg
> specification (.meta file) supplant it with defaults such as source
> locations, and provide a complete installation specification to the
> interpreter.

An interesting question is where to get the meta-information. I think
a good approach would be to have it locally, but not including
the build-instructions. An "update" command (to chicken-setup or
in whatever manner) could update the local tree with meta-information
from a central location. That way a lot of information for, say, listing
available eggs, possible upgrades, etc. can be performed locally.
Build-instructions (make-rules) on the other hand are tied to the
sources and may change frequently. The meta-info-tree could be
autogenerated periodically (or even created from a local svn
checkout).