Re: [Chicken-users] Last two snapshots (3.3.5 and 3.3.6) are broken

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Last two snapshots (3.3.5 and 3.3.6) are broken
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:24:12 +0900

Hi Aleksej,

   Thanks for the patch. I have removed the pcre.h dependencies from
the regex targets altogether, as pcre.h is supposed to be immutable,
anyway. trunk now seems to build fine with or without USE_HOST_PCRE,
but give it a try and let me know if it works for you. The next
development release, 3.3.7, will include those changes, and will be
available in about 6 hours or so.

   Your point about bundled pcre is well-taken, and in fact the Debian
package is also built with USE_HOST_PCRE=1 for precisely that
reason. Unfortunately, some older Debian distributions still use pcre
6.x, whose header file is missing some definitions used by the regex
unit in Chicken, so it is not always possible to use host pcre. I am
actually in favor of dropping the use of pcre altogether, and adopting
Alex Shinn's irregex library in the Chicken core, because
"Perl-compatible" regular expressions are full of godawful hacks, and
because the pcre library itself is an overflow vulnerability waiting
to happen [1]. That is usually the case with large, complex C
libraries, and I think it is a bad idea in general to include
third-party C code in core Chicken.

   -Ivan

[1] http://www.usenix.org/event/woot08/tech/full_papers/drewry/drewry_html/