Re: [Chicken-users] Segfault - a hard one

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Segfault - a hard one
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:04:28 +0200

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please find attached a self contained program, which is supposed to run
> a useless thread for 3 seconds, kill it (logging a notice about an
> exception being caught), create some garbage (logging a notice before
> and afterwards) and exit properly.
>
> To compile:
> $ csc -o ttm ttm.scm

Thanks, Jörg, for providing the test-case - this is someting that
can be properly debugged. It seems to be apparent that
`thread-terminate!' doesn't work correctly, but I have to dig
in deeper to find out what's wrong here.

It must be added that `thread-terminate!' is a "problematic"
function: terminating a thread forcefully destroy an execution
context that doesn't necessarily expect to be terminated and
may leave any kind of system in an inconsistent state.
In fact, `thread-terminate!' shouldn't be used at all. That is
not meant as an excuse - chicken provides it, so it should
work, but it is a dangerous device in general.