Re: [Chicken-users] Segfault - a hard one

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Segfault - a hard one
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:53:47 -0400

Jörg F. Wittenberger scripsit:

> Nevertheless, I would not remove thread-terminate!  Maybe repeat in the
> manual those warnings from SRFI-18 that this is not exactly a nice call
> to make.  But why support half a srfi?

Because the SRFI turns out (based on experience with multi-threaded
though non-Scheme systems) to have been ill-designed.

> Looking at compatibility issues, I can't see a SRFI-18 compatible way to
> interrupt a thead except thread-terminate! .  That's basically the
> challenge I'm facing: I have some user supplied code (which, being user
> supplied, might endless loop), which I want to run for a limited amount
> of time until I decide to terminate the computation.  How would I do
> that?

1) Run it in a separate process, which you can kill without damaging yourself.

2) Use a modified version of "eval" to execute it that counts ticks.

--
John Cowan    address@hidden    http://ccil.org/~cowan
If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was