Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI 18 impl
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 19:43:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Vincent Manis wrote:

My preference is the same as John Cowan's: kill it. If not, put warnings in the manual. I don''t find SRFI-18's warning (in the paragraph headed NOTE:) strong enough, as it uses the phrase `may be a problem', not `is virtually guaranteed to be a problem'. Further, I don't know what fraction of Chicken users actually go and read the SRFIs.

its fairly hard to use the threading in chicken without reading the srfi first, as thats where its documented :)

im against removing thread-terminate! and friends because theyre useful.  id
rather deprecate mutexes and the like for a cleaner system of currency, or
(at the very least) augment thread-terminate! in such a way that it waits to
terminate until the held mutexes (mutii? mutices?) are dropped.

-elf