[Chicken-users] An alternative thread system?

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: [Chicken-users] An alternative thread system?
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:14:16 +0200

Hi all,

I must admit that I'm not happy with the deletion of a single #\i from
the chicken source incurring a lengthy discussion about the usefulness
of the containing definition.  I feel this discussion is rather short
sighted.  If one was to drop thread-terminate!, one should fix more of
those "ill-conceived" concepts in SRFI-18 and drop the abandoned mutex
(for instance) state too, thereby avoiding mutex-lock! throwing useless
exceptions and remove quite a lot of (then useless) code from the whole
thread system.

But this will lead to a complete alternative thread system.

Once this one is useful - and that includes IMHO the possibility to
forcefully terminate a thread in some, here undefined, way - it should
become yet another SRFI and eventually SRFI-18 ought to be depreciated
entirely.

Still - for a practical Scheme system - we would probably need an egg to
load if one wants to run existing code, which was written to the SRFI-18
API.

Hereby I'd like to ask you for proposals, how this alternative could
look alike.  I'm ready to participate in such a discussion (in contrast
to my string objection to simply drop thread-terminate!).

best regards

/Jörg