Re: [Chicken-users] An alternative thread system?

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] An alternative thread system?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:44:43 -0700 (PDT)

We are not doing native threads. Period.

Brief explanation:

I've been spending most of the last 6 months, now, just trying to get I/O working properly on the various platforms we support. Threading is right out of the question. There are too many threading models on our supported platforms, very few of which have compatible semantics. Just trying to keep the bugs from a multiplatform threading implementation under control would be a more-than-fulltime job. This is why

NO KNOWN MULTIPLATFORM LANGUAGE IMPLEMENTATIONS HAVE WORKING NATIVE THREADING.
NO KNOWN MULTIPLATFORM LIBRARY IMPLEMENTATIONS HAVE WORKING NATIVE THREADING.

There is a reason for this.  If you don't believe me, delve into the source
and bugtree of whatever language you claim does support native threading on
windows, macosx, and at least two unixes.

If you want to take advantage of multiprocessing, spawn new processes.  There
are already all kinds of synchronisation and communication and distributed
programming eggs out there.

The blocking I/O issues will be cleaned up very shortly, and I agree they are
annoying. :)

-elf
(thread-terminate! "[Chicken-Users]: re: thread-terminate!")
too bad :)