Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:52:29 +0200

Am Montag, den 11.08.2008, 13:44 +0900 schrieb Ivan Raikov:
>    The moral of the story is that systems whose behavior is governed
> by an explicit, unchanging set of states and transitions is much
> easier to reason and think about, than are shared-memory systems

I agree absolutely.

Actually I'm currently porting the Askemos system (www.askemos.org) to
chicken.  Askemos provides such a programming environment: message
passing (in core, iff local) between objects (closures written in a pure
subset of Scheme) wich change their state in transitions managed by the
core.  Access control is governed by capabilities.  Messages may be
passed and object state may be shared over the network.

This abstraction is *really* much easier to work with - even for
untrained programmers - than threads.  There are several bachelors
programming at the same time different parts of workflow system and they
never have locked up their system.  At worst, and that's really bad,
they can create live locks.  We shall see in the future how to put a
brake on that one.

/Jörg