Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:27:21 +0200

Am Montag, den 18.08.2008, 09:19 -0700 schrieb Elf:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
>
> > Hi Elf,
> >
> > first of all: sorry about not having had the time to read your egg but
> > anyway asking questions about it.
>
> please read the docs in the future, as this issue is addressed.

I'm grateful that you accept my apologies on the grounds of my time
constraints and work load.

> > Actually having such a facility and not being able to use it as I *want*
> > to, made me ask for shared parameter objects at the first place in the
> > other tread over there.
> >
> > My context: several servers spread across the country talking TCP to
> > each other.  There are several timeout, counter and other parameters -
> > within chicken and elsewhere in my program - if I want to set them from
> > a "remote-repl", which presumably runs in it's own thread (since it
> > would be otherwise just a demo).
> >

> as a sidenote, i cannot think of any legitimate reason to change timeouts
> dynamically.

So you probably never had to debug a larger amount of communicating
machines?  I consider it legitimate to test for behavioral changes of
the whole system, when timing changes and/or node become uncooperative.
Apart from wild guesses I can't even see another way to find out good
values.

> every repl session is in its own thread.  as tcp timeouts are parameters,
> if you want to change the timeouts for that particular thread, all you have
> to do is:

That's what I have been able to do bevor.  That's not the aim.  I need
to change all timeouts for all thread which are started after the
change.

/Jörg