Re: [Chicken-users] Re: patch to with-*-*-file

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: patch to with-*-*-file
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:05:15 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> ##sys#standard-{in,out}put are already handled specially (and
>> stored in the thread-state), so this doesn't make things any
>> more thread-safe than they already are.
>
> a) I'm confused: I know that those ports are in the thread state, but
> I'm confused about interaction of call/cc and threads: are
> dynamic-wind's all executed upon each thread switch or not at all?

They are not (of course).

> c) my patch uses in with-*-*-file the same code structure as for
> instance unit ports with-*-*-string.  Why should one do it this way and
> one the other way?

Now I was confused, sorry. The closing of ports has nothing to do with
this, that was a mistake on my part.

What I'm talking about is that your patch does not change
thread-safety in any way.
The internal variables holding ports are always thread local.