Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:07:17 +0900

"felix winkelmann" <address@hidden> writes:

> It should be possible to use SWIG as usual, but it doesn't generate
> modules.  I haven't tried to do so, since I personally find SWIG
> somewhat cumbersome to use (as opposed to easyffi, for example).

   Agreed about cumbersome! I really wish I could use easyffi for
endian-port, but the problem is that SWIG has the ability of wrapping
every invocation of a C function with an error handler, which of
course slows things down, but was an invaluable debugging tool when I
was developing mat5-lib. Something like the SWIG %exception directive
might be a useful feature to add to easyffi, actually. I also remember
that I did something with SWIG typemaps that allowed in/out arguments,
and I am not sure how to reproduce those semantics with the native
Chicken FFI, other than writing a Scheme wrapper for each C procedure
that has in/out arguments.

> Could you describe in more detail what you mean by eggdoc documentation
> option? And what "sweeping changes" exactly are you talking about?

  The "eggdoc option" was the ability to generate online HTML
documentation from an eggdoc script. The sweeping change is that the
eggdoc option was dropped by decree.

> So, if I understand you correctly, you would like to have an automated
> method of generating wiki pages from eggdoc (automated on commit,
> that is)?

  Yes, but I also want the HTML pages generated from wiki pages to
have the same look and feel as HTML pages generated by eggdoc. Maybe
this is just a matter of using the right style classes in the HTML,
but take a look for example in the documentation for digraph and
formular. eggdoc seems to do a much better job at delineating the
sections and highlighting the procedure headers, and it also has neat
boxes for the code examples and the license text, while the wiki pages
use this weird dashed line thing.

   -Ivan