Re: [Chicken-users] cross compilation setup

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross compilation setup
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:03 +0200

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> PATH=<yourmingwpath>:$PATH make PLATFORM=cross-linux-mingw
>> PREFIX=<yourprefix> install
>
> What is this supposed to build?  The host system, the target system or
> both?

The target system.

> It did not work for me: looks for chicken.exe

What chicken version were you using? Could you supply a build log?

> I checked the current svn head.  How it the -host-extension supposed to
> work?  I found:
>
>> Now chicken-setup accepts the -host-extension and sets a parameter
>> object, but does not evaluate it anywhere.  (Therefore it tries to
>> compile with the target instead the host compiler.)  Around line 347 I
>> changed:
>
>> (define-macro (compile . explist)
>>   `(run (csc ,@(if (host-extension) '("-host") '()) ,@explist) ) )

The "-host" option (which here is supplied to csc) tells the compiler
to not use the target C compiler and linker, but the host one. It is
intended to tell a specially built "cross" chicken to differentiate
between the C compilers for the host and the target system
(or build and host, which would be the autotools naming
convention). But the cross-linux-mingw platform just builds
a system for the target machine and the resulting binaries
are to be used there, so it is not what is called a "cross" chicken.