Re: [Chicken-users] faster threading

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] faster threading
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:33:04 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Doing the math: I have usually a minimum of 50 entries in ##sys#fd-list
> and my stuff is rather critical wrt. i/o _latency_.  ##sys#fd-list is a
> linear unordered list.  The network is wide area, hence we can assume a
> random position of to-be-unblocked threads in the list.  => avg. 25
> steps (and memory allocations) in the loop per fd becoming ready.  Under
> load there are easily 150+ entries.  An O(lb n) - algorithm should need
> 6-8 steps even under high load (when the linear list would need 75).  So
> even if a step was four times as expensive it should be a win in any
> case.

Yes, the fd-list is currently rather simplisticly handled.

> I lifted the wt-tree code from slib (which I already extended to support
> access to tree nodes via handles, so nodes need not to be in core - but
> while that feature might be generally useful it is not used here ... and
> needs documentation), wrote a module declaration around it and made
> ##sys#fd-list a balanced tree to find out how much I could gain.
>
> Until now I did not find the time to create a special test case to
> stress just the i/o.  My "off line" test case involves a fair amount of
> computation and just a little i/o.  Still it's almost 50% faster now.
> Let alone the live test, which depends on i/o latency.  Unfortunately
> there is no easy way to get useful numbers from the live system, but it
> does not cough as often anymore.
>
> For me this is a worthy improvement already.  Find two files attached: a
> diff adding the wttree.scm into the build (and fixing a few things in
> the debian subdir) and wttree.scm itself.

Thanks for the patch, Jörg. I'm impressed how deeply you hack the
scheduler. Using a smarter data-structure for the fd-list makes sense,
even though I'd like to avoid adding yet another core library unit (there
are already too many), but perhaps a scaled down version could be
included, exclusively for the scheduler (and thus easier to tune).
I have to review this change thoroughly, and apologize in advance
that it'll take some time.