Re: [Chicken-users] Changes to Svnwiki's extensions system coming

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Changes to Svnwiki's extensions system coming
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:17:44 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been improving the extensions' system that Svnwiki uses, which
> has been a source of confusion in the past.  Svnwiki extensions
> previously lived in stream-wiki/trunk/extensions and were loaded (with
> the "load" function) with their code running interpreted.
>
> In the new system each extension will be an egg on its own,
> installable with chicken-setup.

Excellent!

> - Call the (svnwiki-extensions-init) function in the
>  svnwiki-extensions egg.  This will load all the eggs that define
>  extensions (the svnwiki-* eggs).  I wanted to make this happen
>  automatically (so just by loading the svnwiki-extension egg you
>  would automatically load all the registered svnwiki-* eggs, but
>  there's a problem: sometimes svnwiki-foo will "(use
>  svnwiki-extensions)" to get macros defined there, but the
>  svnwiki-extensions will load svnwiki-foo again and a loop will
>  result; I may be able to fix this in the future, in which case
>  svnwiki-extensions-init will become a no-op).

You could check extensions for being installed with "extension-information"
(to test for specific eggs). Alternatively, grab the directory contents
with "(glob (make-pathname (repository-path) "svnwiki-*" "setup-info"))".

> The resulting system is simpler and easier to maintain, hopefully
> making it easier to use Svnwiki-related eggs (particularly
> stream-wiki).  Furthermore, the extensions will now run compiled, not
> interpreted.

Great. Thanks for making this change.