Re: [Chicken-users] separate compilation

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] separate compilation
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:46:11 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:

> It would be easy enough to compile the export file into memory or a temp
> file and overwrite the old file only if there are differences.
>
> This would give us both: one file, which only changes, when the actual
> interface chances (the .import.scm or whatever name and type is might
> have one day), and one file, which chances with the implementation (the
> original .scm).  Now, within the Makefile we could make modules, which
> depend on the interface depend on the .import.scm and the .o etc. depend
> on the .c/.scm.

The fact that the import libs are Scheme source code is just coincidental.
Just treat them as additional compiler output, and define dependencies
purely on the original source files. For separately compiling files that
introduce compile-time-code, we have to split the run-time- and compile-
time parts of a source file and allow the separate handling (translation,
compilation and linking/loading) of these two ports. Theoretically, we
could compile the import lib on the fly (at the same point where we
compile the source file), but that would increase the complexity of
the compiler drivers even more (but I will try to find some time to
think about this).