Re: [Chicken-users] Egg Installation Problem

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Egg Installation Problem
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 23:12:19 +0100

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM, William Ramsay <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the xlib egg.    I run  "chicken-setup xlib"  and it
> downloads  and compiles it.   I  have to be root  in order to install it  -
> otherwise I get  an error.     After installation I run "chicken-setup
> -list" and, indeed xlib is there.   And I'm able to compile and run the
> hello world example program in the xlib docs.
>
> However, all of this only works if I'm root.    If I'm not root,
> "chicken-setup -list"  shows me nothing.     If I try to compile  I get an
> error that xlib does not exist.
>
> Obviously, I should be able to compile without being root.   What am I doing
> wrong?

Hm...

Try these (as root):

which chicken-setup
chicken-setup -repository

If you run then as non-root, do you have different results? (i.e.
do you have multiple installations of chicken and pick up
different ones, according to the setting of PATH as different
users)
Do you have non-root read access to the directory that "chicken-setup
-repository"
shows?
You can also override the repository-path by setting
the environment variable CHICKEN_REPOSITORY. So, for example,
set it to an accessible directory, run "chicken-setup xlib" again, and
check if it works.