Re: [Chicken-users] Egg Installation Problem

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Egg Installation Problem
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:27:14 +0100

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 04:14:07PM +0100, felix winkelmann wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM, William Ramsay <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Well, that at least tells me what's wrong.   It turns out that I have two
> > versions of chicken running - 2.6 and 3.4.   The newer version is running in
> > /usr/local/bin and the older in /usr/bin.   Installing an egg finds /usr/bin
> > before /usr/local/bin, evidently.
> >
> > I guess the question now is how do I get rid of the older version?   Is
> > there a programmatic way or should I just delete it?
>
> Just delete the following:
>
> /usr/bin/csc
> /usr/bin/csi
> /usr/bin/chicken-setup
> /usr/lib/chicken
> /usr/share/chicken

There's a lot more! At least Chicken 3 installs chicken-bug,
chicken-profile, header files in /usr/include, lib(u)chicken in
/usr/lib, manpages for all the programs above and some documentation
that's under share/doc on my system, but maybe it's under
share/chicken/doc in other distros.

> > (Shouldn't the install of the new version straightened all this out?)
> >

> Well, it may be that one wants to have multiple versions installed
> (I do for testing, for example)

There's an "uninstall" target in the Makefiles. Not sure if it works,
though :)  And of course, that's supposed to uninstall the _current_
version of chicken, not earlier ones.

Cheers,
Peter
--