Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:49:17 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 22.01.2009, 19:29 +0100 schrieb david krentzlin:
> The last i want is a framework that breaks or works against me as soon
> as i need to do things the creators didn't think of.

Again from my perspective (i.e., I'm biased): with askemos.org there is
IMHO just one design requirement, which a Scheme programmer can not
break: capability distribution and a few more attributes like time of
creation, last version number etc.

Please tell me if you find anything else.  I don't think it's the end of
the world.  If anything than merely the opposite.

> Datastorage is a subject of debate indeed. I personally like some of
> the ideas of CLSQL quite much.  And i also would like to have a
> unifying interface for various backends like the dbi that is present in
> allmost any language. Of course it needs to be cooler than those. :)

Well, I decided to go with a storage API to a plug in framework.  To
start with something good for debugging that's an editable format for
the meta data, a BLOB for the actual data and a set of named
communication channels the object knows (in other words a comparable
model to the pi-calculus, what else would a Scheme use as a parallel
extension to lambda? ;-).

With rscheme I used it's pstore feature too until I learned about
scalability issues of it the hard way.

> To make long stories short: i want a flexible, usable, practical
> framework so that i can stop using ruby and rails.

Pardon me.  Ruby commited suicide on the rails?  Who was ruby?

/Jörg