Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:46:11 +0000

On 23 Jan 2009, at 11:04 am, Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:

This is very interesting. Is it possible to use different database
engines
with this?

BY all means! It's just a closure ;-)

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, is there a database
independent interface to all these databases in Wings?

Not in Wings. It's provided by Scheme itself... fundamentally, the act
of getting something from a database is an idempotent function that
returns a part (one or more records, or summarised information from an
aggregrate query) from a whole (the database, or just a table). Which
is exactly the same 'design pattern' as record accessors, vector refs,
etc. And some of these accessors are settable back (vector-ref is,
vector-length isn't, etc), and generalised set! is a nice abstract for
dealing with that.

I've not written any code - all I'm suggesting is that we stick with
what we have and know well as a fundamental interface to databases!

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
Work: http://www.snell-systems.co.uk/