Re: [Chicken-users] Incremental compiling

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Incremental compiling
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:41:25 +0100

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM, William Ramsay <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to do incremental compiling in Chicken?    My program is
> getting quite large and has a lot of include files involved.  How do you go
> from  "csc -vk foo.scm" to
>
> gcc test.c -o foo.o -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -Os
> -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/local/include
> gcc test.o -o foo -L/usr/local/lib  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -lchicken -lm -ldl
>
> where foo.scm has about ten include files and uses a couple of eggs to boot?
>
> As the program grows it takes longer and longer to compile even on my pretty
> zippy machine.

What I often do is compile code as several modules. You can either use
static linking or compile to shared libraries and load them (this makes it
possible to test them in the interpreter more easily). Just split the
code into several source files, and compile and link:

csc -c a.scm
csc -c b.scm
csc -c c.scm
csc -o foo a.o.b.o.c.o