Re: [Chicken-users] SDL egg: SDL_GL_SwapBuffers() not implemented?

From: Stephen Eilert
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SDL egg: SDL_GL_SwapBuffers() not implemented?
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:22:15 +0100

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Koen Weddepohl <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm interested in using Chicken for homebrew game development.
>
> Anyway, I've been trying to get the SDL egg to work with the OpenGL egg.
> However, I can't get any OpenGL graphics to display. I think this is because
> I can't find an equivalent for SDL_GL_SwapBuffers() in the SDL bindings. Am
> I correct in thinking this is function is not implemented in the SDL egg?

Hi, Koen!

This may very well be the case. I'll try to add this, ASAP.

Note that you can get access to this function quickly using

#>
#include <SDL/SDL.h>
<#

(define sdl:gl-swap-buffers
 (foreign-lambda void "SDL_GL_SwapBuffers"))

It's been a while since I've last tried using SDL with OpenGL, but that's not the only function that's missing. I had to set a few more things to get the program to display anything. Too bad I lost my modified SDL egg.

Here's the initalization code I was using:

(define (open-viewport width height)
  (initialize-video-mode width height 0 (+ SDL_OPENGL)))

(define (initialize-video-mode width height bpp flags)
  (sdl-wm-set-caption "OpenGL Window" "OpenGL Window")
  (sdl-set-video-mode width height bpp flags)
  (sdl-gl-set-attribute SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER 1)
  (sdl-gl-set-attribute SDL_GL_RED_SIZE 5)
  (sdl-gl-set-attribute SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE 5)
  (sdl-gl-set-attribute SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE 5)
  (sdl-gl-set-attribute SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE 16))

For some reason I still cannot understand, the program didn't work without setting those flags first.

--Stephen

programmer, n:
       A red eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate monsters.