[Chicken-users] Optimal C

From: Rick R
Subject: [Chicken-users] Optimal C
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:29:49 -0500

I have been looking for a functional language that compiles to efficient C/C++ to fufill two rather odd criteria.

1. To conform to the requirements of the iPhone Developers Program. Code must compile in XCode and be either C/C++/Obj-C. Garbage collection is mostly disallowed. Program size and memory must fit below a threshold.
2. Separately, to perform Naive Bayes computation across huge datasets. What is required is function inlining as well as use of SIMD instructions.
I would provide the inlined functions via .h's and compile them in with gcc.

I really don't know much about language design and development, so I might be way off base here. For the GC, I guess this would imply that there would be a way to fix the scope of closures and other structures that are referenced/collected.

WRT to the number crunching, is there a way to store numbers as unboxed arrays so that they can be passed directly to functions that are compiled in? (i.e. not loaded from a library through FFI)

I'm sure such things have been discussed before, but I couldn't find any such history. Is this achievable now or at least conceivable with a few hacks?

--
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
   - A. Einstein