Re: [Chicken-users] Optimal C

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Optimal C
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:44:24 +0100

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Rick R <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I've been playing with
> it a bit, and I've run into a few snags.
>
> 1. crunch.h wasn't created/copied it my std include. I had to
> chicken-setup -keep and go to the directory.
> The file is named "include". I'm guessing that the script expected
> there to be a local directory named include but it didn't exist, so
> `mv crunch.h include` failed in such a manner.
>
> 2. I tried compiling the example at the bottom of the page at
> http://chicken.wiki.br/crunch and it failed with:
> Error: name used in bad context
> "Definition"
> (#(define 0 6) string-reverse (#(lambda 1 5) (str) (#(let-syntax 2 7)
> () (let* ((n (string-length str)) (s2 (make-string n #\space))) (do
> ((i 0 (add1 i))) ((>= i n)) (string-set! s2 (sub1 (- n i)) (string-ref
> str i))) s2))))

Hi!

Sorry, but crunch is in a really bad state. In fact, it is likely (no, most
certain) to be discontinued. But I can at least try to make the example
run. May take a couple of days, though.

Note that crunch is highly experimental and incomplete. You requirements
are tough, and you will not find many functional languages that don't require
GC. Stalin and MLton come to mind (perhaps one can make GC at least
unlikely, or reduce it to a minimum).

<hacketyhack...>

I tried the example with chicken 3.0.0 and it seems to work. It also should
copy the include file to the proper place. How did you compile the
test program?