Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken-Profile exclusive time.

From: Nicholas \"Indy\" Ray
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken-Profile exclusive time.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:25:52 -0800

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> But wouldn't that mean one has to identify profiled sub-calls and
> subtract their time from the outer caller? That means we need a
> call-graph and that information isn't really available.
>
> Hm... Or perhaps maintain the call-graph at runtime. Currently
> we simply create a record for each toplevel function and
> store entry- and exit times in there.

I think that while maintaining a callgraph might be optimal, it may be
quite a bit of a performance hit, It may be possible to pause/finish
existing timers when you enter another timer, and resume when resuming
on reentry of the original function, I suspect that may be easier to
implement, and probally faster then maintaining a call graph.

In my specific case, I find it curious that the profiler actually
works as it does, considering that my functions should be tail
recursive. and in my situation it'd likely be useful to just finish
the timing before the tail call, but I don't know how general that
would be.

Nicholas "Indy" Ray