Re: [Chicken-users] Maintaining my eggs in a separate repository

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Maintaining my eggs in a separate repository
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:35:37 +0100

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:12:56PM +0100, Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
> I won't be maintaining separate wiki pages for the same egg (in different
> locations in eggref/); I feel it significantly undermines the point of
> the wiki.
>
> I will be
> treating the Chicken Eggs repository (both release/* and wiki/*)
> simply as a mechanism to make my code easy to deploy in Chicken, which
> is the direction in which I feel this repository is being taken by
> recent (and not-so recent) changes.

Of course you are free to do what you want. However, I hope you'll
agree with me that scattering the development of eggs and synching
with a different repository is both confusing to newcomers and a
maintenance pain for you (& other developers who choose to use your
repos).

The repository (and wiki) layout as was chosen was chosen to solve
the problem of keeping track of which egg runs under which version of
Chicken.  If your ideas of how to manage a repository also solve these
issues, why not propose them here on the mailinglist?  I'm sure that if
this solution fits Chicken egg development better it will be accepted
as the new way to do things.

For example, I also find it tedious to keep merging my changes to eggs
that work under Chicken 3 and 4 (though luckily svn 1.5 has made this
a lot less of a hassle), but I don't see a better way to do it right
now.

Cheers,
Peter
--