Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Could we keep old URLs in the wiki working?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Could we keep old URLs in the wiki working?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:11:54 +0200

> >> Yes, and keeping it around will ensure Google never updates its links.
> >> We just have to wait a little longer and it will come around and
> >> update its links.
> >
> > I do not think this process, that everything will be automatically
> > fixed, will be as effective and take as little time as I think you
> > think it will. :-(
>
> Redirecting via a 301 rather than a 302 (as svnwiki does now) would
> have addressed this particular issue.

We actually gave this some thought and decided that a 302 was more
appropriate than a 301 in the general case:

http://listas.el-directorio.org/pipermail/svnwiki/2006-December/000018.html
http://listas.el-directorio.org/pipermail/svnwiki/2006-December/000026.html

I guess we should make it possible to specify per-link (or
per-directory-with-links) whether the redirect should be a 301 or a
302.

Thanks.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/