Re: [Chicken-users] Could we keep old URLs in the wiki working?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Could we keep old URLs in the wiki working?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:28:34 +0200

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > For example, searching for "mario domenech goulart" on Google lists
> > http://chicken.wiki.br/mario%20domenech%20goulart as the second
> > result.  This result used to work, redirecting to the correct page.
> > Now it takes you to a stupid edit form.
>
> The top two results when searching Google for '"require-library"
> chicken' are both edit pages--"Edit: chicken-setup redesign" and
> "Edit: man/4/Non-standard macros and special forms".  But both of
> these pages exist!  And indexing an edit form is useless.
>
> So, while we are on the subject of "stupid edit forms", could we stop
> indexing these pages via robots.txt or <meta name="robots"
> content="noindex, nofollow">?

I think http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/svnwiki/extensions/canonical-url
is a better solution to this problem.

One problem I see with this, though, is that we have two visible
domain names: galinha.ucpel.tche.br and chicken.wiki.br.  This doesn't
play that nicely with <link rel=canonical>.  I suppose the best option
may be simply to set galinha.ucpel.tche.br/$foo to 301-redirect to
chicken.wiki.br/$foo for any value of $foo.  Once we've done that and
enabled the canonical-url extension, no more stupid edit forms should
show in the search engines.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/