Re: [Chicken-users] Scope problem?

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Scope problem?
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:44:10 -0600

Peter Bex wrote:

Import simply loads the import library (FOO.import.so) for each library
FOO you import, it doesn't actually load the library itself.  This makes
no difference for "built-in" libraries that are part of libchicken.so,
but for matchable, srfi-4, srfi-1, foreigners and srfi-13 you will have
to add a statement to load them as well.

You can either add (require-library srfi-13 srfi-1 srfi-4 matchable foreigners)
to your code, or replace the import and require-library pair with one
(use ...) or one (require-extension ...) expression.

Hope this helps!

Well, it helps me to investigate further. But I don't think the actual behavior I have observed quite matches your explanation. For example, it appears that just about any FastCGI request will access symbols defined in foreigners and matchable, yet I have not seen any errors related to those extensions (or rather, I did at first, but not after I added the declarations to import them).

Also, I notice that matchable and foreigners are eggs, while srfi-1, -4, and -13 are ... umm, what are they? They are installed with the core distribution, and listed in the Supported Language section of the Manual
--but you say they should be treated as extensions?

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :