Re: [Chicken-users] Native Threads and Concurrent Processing

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Native Threads and Concurrent Processing
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:07:13 +0200

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:51:14AM -0400, Glen Foy wrote:
> Ten years from now we are going to have multicore machines with a
> dazzling number of processors.  Native threads and concurrent
> processing support will be increasingly important.
>
> I sure would like to see Chicken support native threads on MacOSX.

And I sure would like to have a pony.

More seriously, it's not very likely Chicken will support native threads
anytime soon, unless you're willing to hack it yourself.  On a positive
note, Chicken has a few communications eggs (mpi comes to mind) that
will allow a more Erlang-like model, where you fork instead of spawning
a new thread.  This will also make proper use of multicores, and even
scales to multiple machines (which threading will never be able to do).

I think there have been a few discussions about this type of thing on
this mailinglist; search the archives and you might find some useful
starting points.

Cheers,
Peter
--